Located along the Maryland-Pennsylvania border, the area is known as the Serpentine Barrens, one of only three such occurrences in the Eastern United States, the others being in Oregon and California. According to the Nature Conservancy, which owns and/or assists with managing nearly 2,000 acres in the area in conjunction with the Pennsylvania Bureau of Forestry, the Serpentine Barrens contains some of the last major remnants of serpentine grassland in eastern North America. Thin soils cover a light green, soft bedrock, which is comprised of magnetite and chromium, and was mined up until the late 1970's. Here is a picture of the Pocopson Train Station just off Rte. 926 (near Maui Meadow Farm), built of Serpentine rock:
(photo credit: Rick Ziesing)
There are several sites in Chester and Lancaster Counties where the Serpentine Barrens are maintained by the Nature Conservancy, including Goat Hill Barrens, located in the extreme southwest corner of Chester County, which includes the Oxford area.
Vast acres of wildflower meadows, cliff outcroppings and pitch pine forests that regenerates after fire are prime habitat for the many rare species of moths, butterflies and birds in the 600-acre Goat Hill Barrens preserve. If you are interested in seeing the flora and fauna of the Serpentine Barrens at Goat Hill, you can drive to Red Pump Road in Nottingham, Pa., and spend an afternoon hiking and enjoying this rare enviornment, especially in this beautiful spring weather.
While on our afternoon journey to see Baby Chips, we noted that he is growing fast, and was sticked at 14.3 hands. It is hard to believe that only one year ago he was a compact little foal, staying close to his mother, Malibu Miss.
Here is a photo from Sunday:


My name is Holly and I learned of you and your blog from someone on Twitter (@hltonini), I wish I remembered who gave the recommendation but I want to thank them.
ReplyDeleteI am a fan of horse racing in general and a life-long horse person (riding since the age of 2-horse owner for the past 15 years). I am also a resident of the great state of Pennsylvania. I live south of Pittsburgh.
I love reading your blog because you share the news of not only the thoroughbred racing industry in Pennsylvania but also you share a little piece of PA in every post. I learned something new today about our great state and I can't wait to look up some more information about the areas you mentioned above. I remember learning about all of the major land areas in PA from back in high school but this is something I don't remember. This state has wonderful geography and history.
Thank you for sharing your stories and for sharing with the world some pretty neat information on places and happenings not only in this state but in the thoroughbred world.