The good 'ole days at Liberty Bell Park in northeast Philadelphia

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Season's greetings

            ‘Tis the season for stallion announcements … a season I look forward to every year.  I love finding out which stallions are moving where, and usually I am surprised by more than a few.

            The announcement earlier this week that Silver Train was relocating from Vinery in Kentucky to Northview-Pa was probably the worst-kept secret in the business, with the only surprise being his $7,500 stud fee for 2012, which is the same as this past breeding season.

            Although I look forward to this season of stallion “musical chairs,” I must admit I am getting a little cynical.  Nine times out of 10, horses that relocate from Kentucky to Pennsylvania are doing so because of declining popularity among mare owners, or runners not performing to expectations, or disappointing sales results, or all three.

            With the Pennsylvania breeding program offering such rich incentives to owners and breeders, one would think it would be an attractive region for graded stakes-winning, well-bred freshmen sires, much like Spendthrift Farm’s Dublin, a Grade 1-winner who will be standing his first season in New York, or stallions whose progeny have proven themselves on the racetrack, like Ghost Ridge Farm’s Jump Start.

            Northview-Pa had the right idea a few years back when it decided to stand freshman sire Fairbanks, a graded-stakes winning son of Giant’s Causeway. Not only did Fairbanks get supported by the better mares domiciled in the Keystone State, but also by Kentucky mares through his part-owner Margaux Farm in Midway. His first foals race next year.

            Speaking of Margaux Farm, we took a peek at its web site today and noticed that Petionville was suddenly missing from its stallion roster. 

Hmmm … let the musical chairs begin. And just remember, you read it here first (hint, hint).

* * * *

I recently discovered an excellent online magazine, Australian Breeding & Racing, which covers a wide variety of topics not just limited to racing “down under.” In this current issue (see link), there is an article entitled “The Great Stud Fee Debate,” as well as “Colour Blind,” in which pedigree analyst Jane Henning assesses the impact of coat color on performance.

            The e-edition contains many beautiful photographs, as well as advertisements for American stallions who shuttle. Those ads contain many new conformation photos; the one I saw for Lookin at Lucky was especially nice.

            Here’s an interesting piece about whether a thoroughbred’s conformation can predict its wet-track ability: http://www.breedingracing.com/pdfs/99/Editorial/wetTrack.pdf

            All in all, I highly recommend Australian Breeding & Racing to anyone interested in the global thoroughbred world.  The link to the current edition is: http://epublishbyus.com/ebook/ebook?id=10020910#/0




No comments:

Post a Comment