The good 'ole days at Liberty Bell Park in northeast Philadelphia

Saturday, March 27, 2010

A new filly, and a promising colt

Ever since I was young girl, I've wanted to own a horse.  Not just a horse, but a thoroughbred.  So a few years ago, I decided if I waited too long to get in the breeding business, I might not live to see them run!  In 2008, I acquired my Malibu Moon broodmare, and thus far have gotten two nice foals from her - both very different individuals.

The first, St. Patrick's Gold, is a yearling and was discussed on this blog in the first post.  The second, a filly by Partner's Hero, was foaled on Friday, March 19.  She had a rough beginning, primarily due to the length of her legs.  Slowly but surely she's gotten stronger and now, thanks to some mild weather and a good dose of sunshine, she's looking much better.  While we haven't decided for certain on a name, we've christened her "Baby Hero" for the time being, and went out to see her today at the farm she was foaled at, in Perkasie, Pa.  Here's a photo:



My mare will be visiting the court of Sir Shackleton at Dana Point Farm when she's ready (but not on the foal heat!).  A track record-setting millionaire, Sir Shackleton stood his first few seasons at Castleton Lyons in Kentucky, and is standing his first season in Pennsylvania for $2,500.  His first 2-year-olds race this year, and they are in good hands.  West Point Thoroughbreds has a very nice Sir Shack colt currently in training in Ocala, Fla.  Named Enduring Star, he is out of Lady Lyra, a half-sister to Aldebaran Light, dam of Group 1-winning English two-year-old Balmont. More importantly, Aldebaran Light is also dam of the highly promising Eskendereya, winner of the Gr. 2 Fountain of Youth Stakes and a top Kentucky Derby contender.

Here is the YouTube video link for Enduring Star training this past Wednesday in Ocala:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7TgmygaOU8

He's a Canadian-bred, and will be going to the barn of Mark Casse.

No comments:

Post a Comment